Dry hair? Flaky scalp? Split ends? We have the cure… a relaxing hot oil hair treatment, for any and all of your hair’s needs.
Oil treatments can be very beneficial for both oily and dry hair. Since oil is hydrophobic (it cannot mix with water) penetrates hair and prevents it from absorbing too much water. Often, hair swells, or absorbs too much water, and then dries out again. This cycle damages hair, but can be prevented with oils. Oils can also prevent damaging substances from entering hair follicles and keep it healthy. If you apply oils regularly they will lubricate the hair shaft and prevent hair breakage. Some oils like coconut oil penetrate the hair shaft and can help with protecting the structural protein in the hair while other oils like sunflower oil remains on the cuticle layer and form a film around the surface of the cuticle and enhance the shine. Some studies showed that Brazilian nut oil helps with reducing the formation of split ends in the hair. Another benefit of oil treatment is the reduction of combing forces. A study showed that Brazilian nut and passion fruit can help with reduction of combing force. And why hot oil treatment? Heat reduces the adhesion of oils and facilitates the penetration of oil into hair fiber by diffusion, creating a thin film on the surface. This way you can enjoy the benefits of the oils without making your hair look oily and heavy. Today we will take you through the steps needed to enjoy this revolutionary hair treatment at home!
To begin, ask yourself if your hair is oily or dry. To figure this out, think about how long you can go between showers without your hair getting greasy. If your answer is one or two days, your hair is most likely oily. If after two days your hair is just starting to become slightly oily, your hair is dry. Another way to tell is to think about whether or not your hair breaks easily; if it does, then welcome to club dry!
We will be taking care of both parties with one product so keep reading to learn all about the most magnificent oils for you and your hair. Oil treatment can also be helpful for people with oily scalps, but damaged hair. Keep in mind that this is a treatment, so afterward you’ll need to wash the oil out. This way, it can still be used on oily hair for its nourishing effects.
Now for the star of the show. Meet Dazzle: our luxurious hair and beard oil, and the perfect product for your hot oil treatment. Dazzle is packed with great ingredients that will leave your hair looking its best. Jojoba oil is a lightweight oil derived from the seed of the jojoba plant. Baobab oil is extracted from the “Tree of Life,” or baobab tree, in Africa. Hemp oil is known to stimulate hair growth.
More of Dazzle’s beneficial oils include Prickly Pear Seed, Meadowfoam, and Camellia oils. The oil from prickly pear seeds is used to smooth hair texture, reduce hair fall, increase hair growth, and improve hair health overall. Meadowfoam Seed Oil is excellent at hydrating the scalp and hair, as it helps retain moisture long after conditioning, and also fights dandruff and hair loss. Lastly, Camellia Seed Oil softens the hair’s texture, while still maintaining moisture and shine.
Hot Oil Treatment Steps:
- To get the most out of your treatment, wash your hair first, so there is no buildup preventing the oil from fully penetrating the scalp and hair shaft. You can skip this step if you want to, though.
- Don’t microwave the oil! Try the Bain Marie technique: Pour some oil into a small glass container, and then submerge the container in a container of hot water. The hot water level should be at least as high as the oil level. Wait until your oil is fairly warm, but not so hot that it will hurt your scalp.
- While your hair is still damp, but hasn’t been conditioned yet, apply the oil to your hair. Start at the scalp, since your roots will benefit the most from the treatment. Give yourself a nice head massage to make sure the oil absorbs well (and it’ll help you relax, too!).
- Then, move onto the rest of your hair. Work it in well to get full coverage, especially for damaged parts and ends. After you’re done, comb out your hair using a wide-toothed comb to ensure all of your hair is evenly covered.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel (stick one in the dryer for a few minutes before you start the treatment) or a shower cap.
- Relax! Leave your hair covered for at least thirty minutes to two hours. We like to leave the treatment in overnight. The longer you let it sit, the more visible your results will be afterwards.
- After you’ve eaten some chocolate and watched Netflix for a while, uncover your hair. Hop in the shower to rinse out the oil using your favorite Essentique hair wash. Not all of the oil will come out, but you may want some of it to stay in! Conditioner isn’t necessary after this moisturizing treatment, but you can still use it if you want to.
- Style your hair however you prefer, and enjoy the compliments you’ll get on your luxurious locks.